Blackheath village is one of the smallest in
Surrey with just over 220 people on the electoral
register. Although only 4 miles from Guildford,
it is relatively ‘isolated’ as it
can only be approached by 3 narrow lanes, all
of which are single track at several sections.
The village is surrounded by open heathland, much
of which is Common land, managed by Waverley Borough
Council on behalf of the Lord of the Manor, The
Hon Peter Herbert. The village lies within the
Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
(AONB) and part of Blackheath Common is a Site
of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI).
Each year on the first Bank Holiday in May,
the village Fair is held throughout the main section
of Blackheath Lane. The road is closed with permission
and up to 4500 people enjoy a traditional afternoon’s
fun. The event is organised by residents under
the umbrella of the Village Society and the proceeds
enable the Society to be extremely active in supporting
local charities, organisations and initiatives.
Blackheath Village Hall is owned by the village
and hosts a number of events each year organised
by residents as well as being let on a regular
basis for short-mat bowling, badminton and table-tennis.
The Cricket Club was founded in 1878 and their
ground, situated at the eastern end of the village,
has very much the feel of a traditional rural
cricket field. The Club is currently a member
of the L’Anson League.
As with many villages, increasing amounts of
traffic are threatening the rural environment
and are of great concern to residents. Through
the combined efforts of the Parish Council, Village
Society, Surrey Hills AONB Partnership and with
the help of SCC Highways, it has been possible
to install verge-widening traffic calming measures
and new village signs www.blackheathsurrey.co.uk
Annual May Day